Background

ROMANS 8

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience." - vs. 18-25

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thoughts sparked by Something Borrowed


Today, I went to see Something Borrowed, which yes, was a super cute movie. But it left me thinking about life, love, and friendship, as do most chick flicks. I always get choked up watching movies like this or Bride Wars where the two girls have been best friends their entire lives. I think that's so sweet and so special. And then usually, I get caught up in thinking about how I will never have that because I barely talk to anyone from high school anymore. But today was different...I was sitting with my sister, who is quickly becoming one of my best friends, and thinking about the special best friend she's had since they were four. For her, that's so sweet and so great. For me, I realized how blessed I've been these past two years at UNC because God has given me some beautiful friendships. So today, I chose that instead of throwing a pity party, I will be thankful for the friends in my life right now. They encourage me, bless me, and challenge me.

And then, of course, there's the part of the chick flick that's about love. And of course, I usually leave feeling sorry for myself that I'm single (and blah blah blah). But today, I realized how blessed I am in my singleness. God has been using this time in my life to teach me so much and to build my relationship with Him - something that still needs work. And today, I can genuinely say that I am thankful for this time, for my singleness, and I'm asking God to keep my heart content in Him. What better place to be in?!

As I describe my friends to my family at home, I realize how blessed I really am - and how much we've all been through together this year. I've learned that "I love you" isn't just something to be said between a husband and wife - although indeed it is - but it's something said between friends. Something that means, "You mean a lot to me, and I'm striving to treat you like Christ wants me to treat you." Love...it's a powerful word. 1 Corinthians 13 says, "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends." That's the kind of love I hope to show to the people around me. And when I say, "I love you," I mean that I am striving to love you like that.

But my all-in-all, the source of my love, my hope, and my joy, is Christ. To quote C.S. Lewis, "God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment