
God designs such beautiful friendships, but the one I'm currently most amazed about is the one that God has clearly put together - and kept together - through the past five years. And it has me asking God why He chose to bless me with this friendship. I am so thankful for Alicia.

I met Alicia during the fall of my sophomore year in high school when she was visiting her aunt, who happened to be one of my close adult friends from church. Bonnie had always told me about her niece Alicia who lived in Missouri, and she thought if we ever got the chance to meet, we'd get along great. Boy, was she right! It was just one of those God-things. And ever since, Alicia has been one of my closest friends. The craziest thing is that I lived in Louisiana (and now North Carolina) while she's lived in Missouri (and Kansas). We've only actually been in each other's company three times - twice in Louisiana, once in Missouri. And yet, God has really held us together and given us the ability to always pick up right where we left off. It's really beautiful.
Take for instance tonight, we just picked up right where we stopped several months ago when we last talked. And to hear what God has been teaching her and the work He has been doing in her heart encourages me. I am so thankful. We can talk for hours and never run out of things to say or do.
The funny thing is how different and yet alike we are. But I firmly believe the reason our friendship has worked is that we are both constantly trying to put Christ at the center of our lives. I just love that she's the person I can most be myself around...I really think that's the markings of a best friend.
We have a LOT of fun together...

Crawdaddin' (AKA catching crawfish with your hands in a river)

We eat the same foods.

We can be super silly together.

We go glowbowling.

We get matching (fake) tattoos.

And at the end of the day, God knows we need each other...so He keeps bringing us back. And in talking with her about the future, I know that God has a plan. A good plan that will bring us good AND Him glory. I know that when I let go of my life and my plans is when God will work and move. And I know that one day, Lish and I will live closer together because we've always wanted to raise our kids together!
"A true friend is the gift of God, and He only who made hearts can unite them." - Robert South
Oh my sweet Natalie,
ReplyDeleteGod orchestrated our friendship from the very beginning! He KNEW I needed someone to help me through Bonnie passing and you were the perfect fit for that role. Since then, we have become so close even though we are thousands of miles away from each other. I thank God everyday that he brought you into my life. Even when I went through my rough patches, you were still there, waiting to pick me up when I'd fallen. I hope you know how truly thankful I am to have you as my best friend. People always say they have best friends, but through the time, distance, and circumstances, we are most definitely the definition of best friends! I love you girl!
-lish